Tuesday, March 15, 2011

My First Foray into Furniture - Red Wooden Table with Striped Top

With some of my mom's arrangements.
Aren't they lovely?

I found this small table (stool?) in my mom's laundry room, covered by a pile of newspapers, and I located some red paint in the cluttered (but not for long...) garage.  I used striped paper and Mod Podge to cover the top surface of the table.  I'm going to make several more red pieces using the coordinating paper.

It isn't perfect, but it's pretty darn cute for a free stool that I made using crap I found around the house.  I learned a couple of things that I already knew, like patience is a virtue, and if you are not patient you can cause flaws in your work, and then you'll be really disappointed in yourself because you should know better.  Overall it turned out pretty adorbz though.

Step-By-Step Photos after the jump.

First, I sanded her down with
my new sanding block.

The little tablestool that could.

Then I spray painted it red.  Two coats.
Then I attached the paper to the top
using Mod Podge, and smoothed for about
2 minutes to make sure no bubbles formed.
Then a thin layer on the outside of the paper.
A flaw caused by sandpapering off the edges
of the paper before the Mod Podge was dry.
I covered it with another piece of paper.
Second verse, same as the first.

Nearly finished - just need to add one
more coat.




No comments:

Post a Comment